Monday, July 9, 2012

Today in Talkeetna

The sign that greets you at the top of Main Street.

Today the sun was shining and I needed to go into town since Bucky and Carlisle have a birthday tomorrow.  I visited a gift shop near the welcome sign and took a few pictures to clarify what downtown Talkeetna looks like.  It is alive and bustling this summer, but this morning it was really quiet.  I was greeted with a nice view of Denali as I headed in and the sound of airplanes loaded with flight seers filled the air.


Denali is usually not visible so when the top is seen, cars stop along the highway to take pictures.  The climbing season has ended with I believe 6 deaths.

At Nagley's, you can buy most anything.  It is hooked to the West Rib where Bucky can sit and watch the Yankees!
Looking from the park down Main Street.  Main Street ends at Main Beach where the Susitna, Chulitna and Talkeetna rivers meet. The Alaska Range is directly in front.  It's a very popular spot to photograph the mountains. I went down a few days ago and the water was so high that I could not reach the beach.  Now the water is much lower.