Monday, July 23, 2012

T I A

TIA (this is Alaska)  Should I bring a raincoat? TIA  What about boots?  TIA  Is there any reason to bring shorts?  TIA  I think it may have stopped raining.  TIA.  We've been told that August is the rainy season so this should be interesting.  But, all Alaskans and visitors here know that if you wait for a nice day, you may never do anything.  For this reason, we now put on rain suits or our waders and head out.  And, when it's fishing, what does it matter if it's raining.

The weekend scene at Larson Creek this past weekend.

We arrived early knowing that on the weekend things could quickly ramp up.  It's a great scene with folks of all ages interested in catching the allowed three Sockeye apiece and then hanging out or cleaning fish.  The young kids had fun making mud pies.

Carlisle catching fish













Bucky and I made a trip to Wasilla for building supplies and canning jars.  We should know by now that once the fishing season begins, the chance of finding jars is slim.  We made this same mistake last summer!  On the off chance that the Willow Hardware would have some on their dusty shelves, we stopped in.  And of all the luck, not only did they still have some jars, but I had the pleasure of shaking hands with Governor Palin.  I was surprised that her hair was not as pretty and dark as I had expected.  In fact, it was almost chocolate brown. And, for being an avid runner, even naming her oldest son Track, her legs looked somewhat plump.  But, it was her rear end that shocked me! With a wag of her tail, I was introduced to  Governor Palin an adorable, male ??, lavender Pekinese, mother to three other Pekinese in the store.  Our visit was an interesting one, worthy of its own story.  When I told Carlisle of my meeting Governor Palin, she reminded me that just down from the hardware store is the thrift shop lady who has a plaster cast of a Sasquatch foot behind the counter and will only show if she believes you are a true believer. Carlisle once saw it!



The canning scene.