Monday, July 6, 2020

Alaska 2020 ND, MT and the Canadian Border


In sweltering heat, rockets lit the sky over Devil's Lake.....blackbirds one day and fireworks the next !

July 4

I delighted in the feel of warm water cascading down my back. A slight sulfur smell permeated the air, but didn't detract from the experience. Finding a family owned campground not far from Havre, MT allowed us the opulence of water, sewer and power. 

The campground host scurried about preparing tables for a pot luck gathering. I watched this from my folding chair, my feet propped up on a picnic table and my head pressed against the chair back. A multitude of doves cooed while storm clouds gathered overhead. A slight rumble of thunder punctuated the doves' serenade. 

Our host saw me sitting and approached. In an effort to appear friendlier than I felt, I commented, "It looks like rain."  
Without hesitation, he replied, "I hope so!" 
Which left me thinking, there never seems to be enough rain in a westerner's bucket!

My brother lives in Denver and rarely is there a phone conversation between us that doesn't include, "We need rain." 
He and his family are lucky to escape the CO heat at their summer house on Lake Champlain. I spoke to him there just a few days ago. Vermont just recorded the driest June in history and my brother told me the lake level was unusually low. This was followed by, "We need rain!" 
He couldn't see me smile! 

I folded my chair and headed for the camper door as a canopy was being moved by our host to cover the potluck tables. Red, white and blue tablecloths fluttered in the breeze.



Montana skies can change from azure blue to coal black and back again in minutes, often with a rainbow thrown in. The breadth of the western sky appears infinite and like a child, it can be fickle. 

       We watched this pilot fly on the deck before abruptly pulling up and looping around to make another pass on this field.

"So if you care to find me/ Look to the western sky/ As someone told me lately/ Everyone deserves the chance to fly!/ And if I'm flying solo/ At least I'm flying free/ Tell those who'd ground me/ Take a message back from me/ Tell them how I am defying gravity!/ I'm flying high defying gravity/ And soon I'll match them in renown./ And nobody in all of Oz/ No Wizard that there is or was/ Is ever gonna bring me down!"       
Steven Schwartz



Traffic was light in Ray, MT

July 5
Route 2 took us to Shelby Montana and Interstate 15 led to Sweetgrass where we would cross into Alberta. The US/ Canadian border has been closed to all but essential travel for several months. To reach Alaska by land, one must drive through Canada. I tried to stay informed on border updates and changes. On June 16, I made a phone call to BIS (Canadian Border Information Services) and was provided final confirmation that we would be OK to transit through Canada and on to Alaska.

Bucky and I were both somewhat nervous as we approached the gate and were motioned ahead by the  Canadian border agent. On my lap I held a folder with proof of our Alaskan home ownership and taxes paid on the property. The agent was friendly and polite and we answered his questions honestly. We were pleased when he proceeded with regulations we would need to follow while in Canada. He spoke of stopping only for fuel, sleeping in our RV, not entering stores and not staying in provincial parks. It appeared we had been nervous for no reason. He then instructed us to drive forward, pull into a marked space and enter the building to register our firearms. This is routine and Bucky handles it each time we enter Canada. I sat waiting with my seatbelt still fastened as I knew it wouldn't take long. An agent walked from the building with a black Labrador and I was surprised when he instructed the dog to sniff around the RV. Bucky was taking longer than usual. 

When he finally returned to the RV, his face was anything but happy. He said I would need to come in. I donned my mask and entered the building. Several border agents were gathered behind the counter seemingly bored by the lack of people to process. They chatted and laughed lightheartedly.
Agent McDonald didn't join in their merriment. He asked me about my conversation with BIS. I easily conveyed to him the information I had been given by a BIS supervisor. I had been told that as of June 8, immediate family members could rejoin and since our daughter was living in our Alaskan home, we would be allowed to transit there through Canada. Agent McDonald took notes as I spoke and after more questions and more note taking, we were asked to have a seat. We sat alone in a large room devoid of noise other than occasional laughter from the still unoccupied agents. 
Suddenly, Agent McDonald's voice broke the silence calling us to his window. He credited us for "due diligence" in calling BIS, but unfortunately we had received false information. We are not Alaskan residents and since other means are available by which to reach Alaska, you will NOT be allowed to transit through Canada.
"Thank you both for your patience."
 

No comments: