Sunday, August 15, 2010

Birch Creek August 12,13

                                            Humpy, final stage of Pink Salmon life cycle.  Ugly !


Silver Salmon
I'm happy to report that I have found my camera which was never really lost just carefully stowed in a compartment of the RV.  It would seem that living in 160 sq ft of space would make locating items easy, but it's actually quite the opposite. Things seem to routinely disappear into the many storage situations that RV designers think travelers will find handy.  Problems arise when moving an item, such as my camera, from the first handy storing compartment to a different handy storage compartment.  When I decided to move my camera, the new storage space seemed to make much more sense than the one I had been using since leaving VT.  Moving something in this manner would not have been problematic years ago, but as I relocated my camera to its new more logical location, I questioned my judgment in doing something so daring with my long term memory constantly doing battle with my short term memory.  But, I did so regardless. Several days later when I went assuredly to get my camera from its compartment before going fishing, guess what? It wasn't there.  I promptly got on my hands and knees and began looking under seats, beds, overhead storage, dirty laundry bag, kitchen cabinets, all to no avail.  Not quite remembering when I had last seen the camera, my immediate thought was that it had fallen from my pocket, slippery devil that it is, and was forever gone.  It was all so mystifying.  Lying in bed one night, I thought and thought.  Years ago I had much bigger issues to occupy my thinking.  I thought and I thought, remembering that I never took the case with me when fishing and so even if the camera had been lost, the case should still be in the RV, but it wasn't. In desperation, I put Bucky on the trail.  He quickly went behind the privacy screen into the cab of the motorhome, reached into a handy compartment and returned with the encased camera.  What a logical place to have stored a camera.  End of search. Wanting to see some new water, we headed to the mouth of Birch Creek.  Birch Creek leaves Fish Lake on the Talkeetna Spur Road and enters a braid of the Susitna River.  Bucky, Levi and I made the two-mile walk through deep mud puddles with the world's slipperiest mud.  Video of this walk would have entertained you all!  Levi remarked on how, at times, our bodies react in unimaginable ways to keep us upright, twisting and contorting, fighting an inevitable fall. Yet at other times, the fall is immediate, leaving one breathless when hitting the ground. This day our bodies twitched and bent and with bouts of laughter, we resisted gravity's pull.  I watched Bucky make athletic moves that neither Levi nor I had seen in years..... if ever.
Silver Salmon